Monday 30 June 2008

The Sweetest Revenge.

I turned the key and the engine roared as it started, filling my nostrils with the smell of fuel and my body with pure adrenaline. It calmed to a gentle hum. I smiled to myself and stroked the black brief case beside me. I looked around, still feeling paranoid that someone would show up and burst my victorious bubble. All I could see around me in the small Greek fishing village, were a couple of weather worn boats tied to the wooden jetty, with the crystal water lapping gently at their sides.

I suddenly heard voices and turned sharply to see a couple of elderly Greek local men greeting each other outside a bar. They sat, and I watched the waitress greet them and take their order, smiling and laughing jovially as they swapped banter. I turned back and looked out to sea. I sighed and took in the beautiful scenery before me. Wonderful green hills rolling in front of me on the opposite island. The clear blue sea swirling and curling with the gentle current. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath of the pure air, feeling the warmth of the sun on my skin. I just couldn't stop smiling to myself.

I pulled down my glasses to cover my eyes from the glare of the sun. Versace, no less. Who would have believed it? Me. Wearing Versace glasses. I looked down at my feet and shuffled them to take a good look. Gucci ! I threw back my head with laughter now at the thought. If anyone had seen me they would have thought I was going out of my mind, but, it was quite the opposite. My mind couldn't have been clearer or sharper.

I untied my boat from the jetty and returned to the controls. I pulled back the throttle and the boat pulled away leaving a swirl of sea spray in it's midst where it once stood serenely. I reached the open sea quickly and as the sea spray from the breaking waves hit my face refreshingly, I thought back to how I got myself here...

"WILSON!", I heard my boss scream for the fourth time that morning. How I hated that bitch calling me by my last name. I stood myself up from my crouching position at the filing cabinet. My knees ached and my heart felt heavy. The only thing keeping me going was the small light burning inside me that would soon ignite into a full fire of hope and determination for the future.

I opened the door of her office, the cold handle feeling appropriate for the ice maiden that it contained inside. There she was sitting behind her desk. A big marble and walnut effort covered in neat piles of papers, all facing the same way, and an expensive computer. The scowl on her face didn't shock me in the least. It was permanently fixed there. A red long finger nail pointed at me as she gave me her orders. She could never just tell me what she wanted in one sentence, she had to include a tirade of abuse and diatribe about other people and departments. Of course, she could do no wrong. My mind wandered and I watched her red slashed mouth moving, her tongue flicking in and out of her yellow teeth as she spat orders to me. I should have been listening but...

"WILSON! ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME? DID YOU GET THAT?"
"Oh...I'm so...sorry," I stumbled, "I've just got a bit of a headache." I rubbed my forehead for dramatic affect.

She pulled open her top drawer and threw a blister pack of pills across the desk at me. I put my hand on them and slid them towards me, picking them up and putting them into my pocket.

"I CAN'T HAVE YOU SLACKING WILSON, I NEED TO RUN A TIGHT SHIP HERE, WE HAVE TARGETS TO MEET AND I WON'T HAVE YOU LETTING ME DOWN." she spat in my direction.
"No...no ma'am."

She ran through my orders, threw some papers at me and I was dismissed. I walked out of the room and looked over at Anna, her PA, at her desk. She briefly looked at me and then put her head down quickly to carry on with her work. She was a beautiful girl, but you could see she had the weight of the ice maiden on her shoulders. Her intercom buzzed..."ANNA!"

So...see I had to do what I had to do. I couldn't be treated that way anymore. It was so easy really. Staying late after everyone had gone. Hacking into the computer system was simple. I know my most taxing job was turning on a kettle and filing redundant papers, but that just gave me a great cover. No-one would have guessed the genius that I was planning in my head.

I watched.
I watched and waited.

So that is what made me determined to get where I am now. I slowed the engine of the boat and turned it off. I dropped the anchor. I surveyed my view. Beautiful! Sea all around me. Fresh air all around me and the only sound was the swooshing of the water swaying the boat gently.

I sat down on the edge of the boat and looked lovingly at the briefcase. I ran my finger tips again across it's leather. I could smell it's warmth from the sun. I ran both hands to the locks and clicked them open, ready to see the fruits of my labour. I closed my eyes and gently opened it.

When I opened my eyes tears of joy pooled into them. My reward. My reward for all of the crap I had put up with from that spiteful bitch. Two Million pounds...all mine. How I would have loved to have seen her face when she opened her account and seen it wiped out. Well, I say wiped out, I left her fifty pounds and a bit of change to keep her going for the week. Kind don't you think?

I heard a chink and saw the door of the cabin open. Two Champagne glasses and a bottle of Bollinger lead out first, and then there she was...

My beautiful Anna.

No comments: